The deerleap was origianally powered by twin Hall Scott gas engines. Under conscription with Canadian Navy she was fitted with Vivian diesels. After being de-commisioned from her war time service Campbell Church installed the 671 Detroit diesels, sometime around 1948. She has had them ever since.
engines before removal >>
After almost 60 years of service the old "jimmies" were getting tired. Rebuilding them was ruled out quickly - these engines were known for being loud, inefficient and leaking oil horribly. Slim decided it was time to consider options for replacing them. A number of engines were considered, including: John Deere, Catapiller, and Cummings.
<< engine removal
In 2004 Slim happened to hear Gardner engines run for the first time. He was amazed at how quietly they ran. Later that year he met and with Paul Gardner at the Victoria Wodden Boat Festival. After learning more about them, he decided these were the engines that would best complement the Deerleap.
Finding the engines, transmissions, parts, and a competent mechanic for them, turned out to be a whole new adventure. The engines were finally located, and were shipped to an experienced mechanic in Canada.
Engine parts ready for assembly inside the engine room>>
<< The painstaking assembly process
Allen Hastings - Senior engine mechanic
Kee Power Bow Thrusters - hydraulics
Harry "Jerry" Rendell and Bill of the classic yacht Syrene